Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Roommates


When putting in an application for housing, as a college student, many things are taken into consideration. Things like age, sex, employer, length of stay, and so on. Something that is truly disappointing, the way this personal information is put to use. Although it is not uncommon for a local residency to ask questions about cleanliness, ethics, and religious status, this information is only used to gather a pathetic generalized understanding of an individual. In actuality, with the same information, a more examined understanding could be formed. With this information they could sort students by similarities.
Dixie State College dorms and local college populated apartments should be sorting students by similar personality characteristics and degrees. Unjustified negatives, from the random and lazy assortment of students into complexes, can be fixed with little effort and will provide enormous positive effects. Grouping together students, especially those with similar degrees, could promote a more scholarly environment and ease the anxiety caused from departing the regularity and comforts of home.
             My first time living on my own, going to Dixie, I was completely shut out from the brotherly bond all my other roommates seem to share. Three of them played football for Dixie and two of them were just finishing their last seasons of baseball. I had nothing to talk about. Not only that, but it seemed like their lifestyle was completely different from mine. I would come home around nine after a long day at school expecting to get ready for bed and fall asleep by ten. That didn’t happen, my sloth like roommates seemed to not be sloths at all. I found quickly that they were nocturnal, energetically peaking at 1130pm to 1230am. I remember my frustration and utter fury at lack of sleep because of their inconsiderate behaviors.
            I know I’m not alone everyone deals with frustrating roommates. It could even be in the reverse. I’m sure my first roommates were irritated at my constant complaining at the noise they were making. I moved out the next summer semester and luckily met students who seemed to share more my lifestyle. Incidents like my first semester at college could never be exterminated completely, but significantly reduced.  
Imagine now that a quick survey was attached to every apartment. Your degree, likes, and dislikes could all be taken into consideration along-side your normal information. Major benefits academically would arise.
 In example, if an apartment were full of people with fairly similar degrees you could expect about the same work load for person. Incidents like mine could be avoided. Those with a flexible schedule can be put together. Along with work-load similarities, freshman especially will benefit from their experienced roommates. Sharing personal information about teachers, courses, academic planning, could be almost better from an experienced student than a counselor at the school. After three years here at Dixie I know who some really good teachers are, along with some really poor ones. I openly share this information with all five of my freshman roommates. My only wish was that someone had helped me in the same way. As a freshman having someone who can answer little questions here and there can be such an important resource.
Not to say that as roommates stand now you can’t ask questions, but as in my first semester it takes much longer to level with those you are so different from. I remember missing my freshman orientation because I was too intimidated by my roommates. Even when I asked Josh, the oldest to Dixie, he didn’t seem care enough to explain the location of the building he had briefly mumbled out of the side of his mouth. However, I could see him explaining it to any of his football friends with much elation. Not only academically, but mentally help could be derived from compilation by personality.
Everyone who has left home to attend college knows it can be rough. One of my roommates the first semester of his college career could not hold a meal down for a week after being dropped off by his parents. I remember that week he’d be in two places his bed room or the bath room throwing up. I felt really bad for him so I invited him to go swimming with some friends and I. After connecting with not only me, but some of my friends I saw instant relief. It was at this moment I realized that the burden of leaving home can mostly be solved by having friends and a life to take your mind off of any homesickness.
 I think that it is not too uncommon for someone to connect with one or two of their roommates, but being put together into a more conscience effort of similar personalities could improve this fraction. And who am I to say how in depth a personality review would be. Depending on the success of something like this it could be a larger survey than your average kindergarten “get to know you” sheet.
I’ve have grown so much because of the hard situations I have been put in. Living with all types of people really makes you a more flexible person. There is no arguing this directly, but just because you have the same degree and similar personality doesn’t mean you will get along the entire time. I’m sure there will always be the first awkward situation, or someone borrowing your toothpaste without asking. Why not make that the toughest part of living on your own? Why not make college life a little less stressful?
Currently the largest apartment complexes built for college students are: Rebel Creek Ridge, Canyon lands, the College “Dorms”, Chancellor, Raintree, and so on. After researching their application forms three of them have application forms with personality questions. None of the questions seem to be about placing students, just whether or not they want to accept them. None of these larger apartment complexes ask for a degree in their application.
Adding my suggested segment to all of these housing unit applications process would be a wonderful tool. Not only would this be an academic relief, but a mental relief to all those involved. Knowing that your roommates are more than a random assortment of peoples could really prevent unneeded stress and anxiety to an already flustered student’s life.

1 comment:

  1. this is a great idea! i am surprised they don't do it already. perhaps you should send an email with parts of this essay included to the admin. in charge of the dorms on campus -- maybe they will take your suggestion!

    ReplyDelete